Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Bento No. 7 - Cold Soba Noodles with Hardboiled Egg

As I make more bentos, it seems that I want to try and make more Japanese themed ones. I wanted to experiment more on flavor and I dared to go where I wouldn't have gone if I were just the eat-loving person that I was a year ago.

This bento is an experiment bento that I whipped up in under 20 minutes. Not really bad for a first time recipe!

Today's Bento Menu

  • Cold Soba Noodles
  • Hardboiled Egg

Cold Soba Noodles Recipe

The Cold Soba Noodles were easy enough. It just needed a few ingredients and it's good to go.

4 Tbsp Rice/White Wine

1 Tsp Flavoring or 2 Tbsp dashi stock

2 Tbsp Soy Sauce

2 Tbsp Sugar

2 Bundles Soba Noodles

  1. Cook the Soba according to package instructions
  2. While you're boiling the noodles, make the sauce by combining the rice/white wine, white sugar, flavor enhancer (could be dashi stock but I don't have any), and soy sauce. Mix them together until all the sugar is dissolved. It may help to heat it up in the microwave for a few seconds just help in dissolving the sugar. Don't heat it up too long or the alcohol will dissipate completely. Place it in a non-spill container that will fit in your lunch box. Remember to cool the sauce completely before packing
  3. When your Soba Noodles have finished cooking, drain the water and rinse it with cold running water (I used tap, since tap water is relatively cold compared to the boiling water). This is to remove any starch. Cold Soba Noodles, as I have read, should not have the starchiness that noodles have. Be careful though, these noodles are slippery!
  4. Arrange your Soba Noodles neatly in your lunch box. Garnish as desired. I used Nori Strips

Hardboiled Eggs Recipe

Do I even have to expound on how this is done? Haha.
  1. Put your eggs in a pot with enough water to submerge the eggs
  2. bring the water to a boil
  3. once water is boiling, let the egg boil for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how hard you want your eggs
  4. drain the water and submerge the eggs in cool water
  5. carefully peal the shell, and cut in half, or cut in half and then peal the shell carefully

Where to Buy the Ingredients

Here's a list of where you can buy the ingredients I used in this recipe.
Shallot Sauce
Where it was bought: Carvajal, St. Binondo
Alternative stores: None that I know of
Lee Kum Kee Soy Sauce
Where it was bought: South Super Market, Ligaya
Alternative stores: Major Supermarkets
Wang Soba Noodles
Where it was bought: Robinsons Metro East Supermarket
Alternative stores: Major Supermarkets with Asian section
Sugar
Can be bought anywhere
Egg
Can be bought anywhere
Korean Vodka(?)
I don't know. This was given to us. Probably in Korean stores

No comments:

Post a Comment